Training and Skills Committee
Our Training and Skills Committee provides strategic direction to our efforts to improve the quality of research training for social science researchers in the UK. We meet three times a year in March, July and November.
In addition to overseeing our training and development schemes for postgraduate, early and mid-career researchers, the committee provides advice and guidance to the ESRC Council, the Chief Executive and the ESRC directorates on the capacity building needs of the social science research base.
This strategic direction includes the Health of Social Science Strategy, a series of targeted initiatives that aim to boost recruitment in a number of disciplines/subjects identified by the Demographic Review of UK Social Science.
We have played a central role in fostering innovation in postgraduate training across the UK social science community. In order to maintain this leading role and further drive forward the development of effective practice, the Committee commissioned a number of reviews to inform strategic thinking on postgraduate training. The outcome of these reviews was the revised Postgraduate Training Framework.
- Professor Tara Fenwick (Chair), University of Stirling
- Professor Timothy Clark (Vice Chair), Durham University
- Professor Judi Ellis, Reading University
- Dr Stuart Fancey, Scottish Funding Council
- Professor Maia Green, University of Manchester
- Professor Simon Handley, University of Plymouth
- Professor Irene Hardill, Northumbria University
- Professor Susan McVie, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Peter Smith, University of York
- Dr Sally Stares, London School of Economics
- Professor Chris Taylor, Cardiff University
- 12 November 2014, 14.00 - 13 November, 16.30, Swindon
Notes from previous meetings
3 July 2014 (PDF, 37Kb)
- 18 March 2014 (PDF, 52Kb)
8 November 2013 (PDF, 58Kb)
- 12 July 2013 (PDF, 44Kb)
- 11 March 2013 (PDF, 42Kb)
- 13-14 November 2012 (PDF, 41Kb).
- Frances Burstow, Committee Secretary
Telephone: 01793 413149