Opportunities for business
What’s available for businesses
The ESRC supports social scientists at all stages of their careers to undertake high quality research across a large number of social and economic issues. We only support research activity that meets our excellence criterion, is developed to ensure the highest chances of making impact, and is provided for independent investigation. We partner businesses with world-leading academic researchers to deliver new ways of thinking that can advantage, but may challenge, your business.
Collaboration with business benefits social scientists, by providing an improved understanding of business requirements, identifying new research themes and helping to ensure that their research makes a difference.
Find out about forthcoming events, funding opportunities and recent publications
- Follow our Twitter feed (@ESRC)
- Find ESRC-funded research in the news via Scoop.it!
- Subscribe to the ESRC’s eNews bimonthly bulletin and Society Now magazine
- Read about Britain in 2015
Hear from leading researchers and keep up with developments
- Attend an ESRC Festival of Social Science event
- Attend an ESRC-supported research seminar on a wide range of policy topics
- Find out more about the programme of events and activities to mark ESRC’s 50th anniversary
Find out more about ESRC investments data
The ESRC invests heavily in world class data infrastructure, providing a valuable resource to answer some of the most pressing questions facing our economy and society.
- Find out how datasets held by the UK Data Service can be used by researchers in your organisation
The Big Data Network will strengthen the UK's competitive advantage in Big Data and drive economic growth. As part of the network, three Business and Local Government Data Research Centres are creating a safe and secure data infrastructure for researchers to access business and local government data, for innovative research of mutual benefit to data owners.
The centres that are being established are:
- the Urban Big Data Centre at University of Glasgow
- the Consumer Data Research Centre at University of Leeds and UCL
- the Business and Local Government Data Research Centre at the University of Essex
Expand the skills and knowledge with your business
- Host a PhD student intern through one of our 21 Doctoral Training Centres around the country
- Offer staff from your organisation to spend time at a university on a secondment or business project. This could be at one of the 24 universities that hold an ESRC Impact Acceleration Account
- Host an established social scientist to work on a time-limited project with you by putting a proposal to a university (including those with ESRC Impact Acceleration Accounts)
- Host a researcher via a Knowledge Transfer Partnership
Get summaries of recently completed research
- Access our bank of Evidence Briefings organised by policy area including the public services, health and wellbeing, education, innovation and skills, economy and business.
Find researchers who know about your field of work
- Use the Gateway to Research (external website) online tool
Expand your skills base
- Attend a National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) (external website) training course
Partner directly with researchers on applications for ESRC-funding
- Find out about current funding opportunities
- Take part in applications for new research made by university based researchers to our Standard Grant Scheme
Join others interested in using and making evidence
- Become a member of the Alliance for Useful Evidence to be alerted to events, publications and discussions about making evidence use a reality
- Sign up for blogs from leading academics writing for The Conversation website (external website), part funded by the UK Research Councils
Find out about the impact of our research
If you would like to find out more please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.