Making changes to your grant
There may be occasions when due to unforeseen circumstances, you need to make some changes to a grant. This is possible, but is normally restricted to:
Late or deferred starts: the start date of an award can be extended if it wasn't possible to commence the research on the anticipated start date.
Transfers: if the principal investigator moves to another eligible institution, the award can be transferred if both the original and the new institutions agree.
Extensions: you may be granted some additional time to complete the research (without additional funding). For example if the principal investigator or another researcher, or a member of the research staff left, was off sick or on maternity leave. Please note that extensions must be requested at least three months before the end of the award.
Changes of principal investigator: if the principal investigator leaves the institution where the award is held, the institution can appoint a replacement.
- Withdrawal: if the researchers or the institution can no longer continue with the research, the institution can withdraw.
In very exceptional cases, an increase or decrease to the award cash limit may be granted.
Even well-planned research can be subject to unexpected difficulties. In exceptional circumstances award periods may be extended by prior agreement. Extensions without additional funding may be granted for one or more of the following reasons:
- Maternity leave
- Death, or termination of employment of the principal investigator, co-investigator grant holder, co-holder or any other member of staff funded or part funded by ESRC.
- The normal extension limit is six months.
- There is an absolute limit of 12 months in total. Extensions of between 6 and 12 months need exception justification and may be refused if this is not provided.
- We expect awards to be properly planned and applications for extensions must be made at least three months before the end of the award. Applications received after that will normally be rejected, irrespective of the case.
- Requests for extensions must be made in writing to the ESRC, and the finance office at your institution should be given a copy of the request.
Extensions will not be granted automatically, nor retrospectively.
Who to contact
- Grant maintenance (eg extensions, change in grant title, change of grant holder etc.): via Je-S
- End of Award Report queries : contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queries about new or amended outputs: contact email@example.com
If you are unsure who your case officer is you should email firstname.lastname@example.org.