'Extremism and Its Support: Developing More Effective Policy Responses'
- Start date: 31 August 2012
- End date: 01 March 2013
One specific challenge facing policy-makers at the national and local levels is to understand, and deliver effective responses to, extremist movements. In particular, building on its work in the area of integration and extremism, the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) aims to increase its knowledge and understanding about right-wing extremism. In co-operation with the DCLG as project partner, the aims of this six-month knowledge-exchange are to:
- support impact-generation from past research while contributing directly to the work of a national-level policy community
- to promote the application of accumulated academic knowledge on right-wing extremism and related issues
- to strengthen wider networks between academics and policy-makers
- to facilitate the co-production of creative and concrete policy ideas.
The project is anchored in a six-month placement at DCLG, where the applicant will draw on his past research, and also the work of other social scientists, to directly inform policy development.