ESRC Delivery Plan 2011-2015
20 December 2010
The Economic and Social Research Council Delivery Plan 2011 – 2015 is an ambitious programme of social science research with clear and powerful benefits for the UK economy and society.
The Plan details our settlement from the 2010 Comprehensive Spending Review. Our budget for 2011/12 is £174,637 million reducing to £166,186 million in 2014/15. This excludes running costs which will be separately allocated.
The ESRC Chief Executive, Professor Paul Boyle said: "The relatively favourable settlement is very welcome in the context of a tough fiscal environment. The Settlement demonstrates the value that research brings to the UK and is, also a vote of confidence in the social sciences. However it does represent a real-terms reduction of around 12 per cent in the ESRC’s budget over the next four years which will affect our activities."
Through our Delivery Plan we will:
- Align and shape our strategic research investment on three priority areas
- Contribute to the RCUK interdisciplinary research programmes
- Focus our resources on longer, larger grants that deliver ambitious social science
- Invest in future leaders early in their careers
- Streamline existing funding opportunities
- Concentrate our PhD training in the best centres
- Protect our core investments in the national data infrastructure
- Continue to prioritise the generation of economic and societal impact
- Expand our collaborative activities with the private sector
- Continue to encourage and promote international collaboration
Full details are available in the ESRC Delivery Plan 2011- 2015 (PDF, 306Kb)