We take the privacy of your information seriously. By using our website, you are deemed to have consented to the collection and use of the personal information that you provide in the ways described below.
Personal data we collect
ESRC is the data controller (under the Data Protection Act 1998) of any of your personal details that we may hold.
We may collect information about you when:
- you register on our website
- you update your information on the website
- you contact ESRC directly to update your information
- we (or agents acting on our behalf) contact you, or any institution or research body that you belong to
- we gather survey data on outputs produced from our research awards.
We may collect general information about you (such as IP address, operating system and browser) as you browse the site. You can find further information in our terms and conditions.
How we use your personal data
We may use personal data we collect to:
- administer the ESRC website, and personalise content to reflect your interests
- send you email alerts that you have requested
- analyse usage of our website
- allow you to use interactive features of the service
- send you communications such as service announcements
- assist our award holders to administer their awards.
Information we provide to third parties
We do not generally provide any personal information about users of our website to third parties or other users. We will only provide details of a person to others if this supports appropriate communication and collaboration between users.
We may need to disclose personal, business or trading details should we need to pursue action against a user who violates our terms and conditions, copyrights, intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights. We may also disclose such information to any government, law enforcement or regulatory agency that properly requests it.
How we keep our systems secure
We have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These security measures include firewalls, data backup procedures and where appropriate, encryption and secure internet transactions. Despite these measures, "perfect security" on the internet does not exist.
Protection of your login names and passwords
If you believe that the security of your login (username and password) has been breached, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We may keep certain personal details on our system to allow us to identify you in the event that you forget or lose your username or password.
Our data protection registration
We are on the Data Protection Register. Our registration number is Z8694438.