Intute: Social Sciences
Intute: Social Sciences (formerly known as SOSIG) provides access to a selected source of relevant, high-quality internet resources for social science researchers, academics and practitioners. The service is based at the Universities of Bristol and Birmingham in association with over 17 partner universities around the UK. It is part of the larger Intute service, which provides access to internet resources in all major academic disciplines to support learning, teaching and research.
About Intute: Social Sciences
Using the internet effectively for serious research can be a challenge as the amount of information online grows each year. Intute provides access to a selected and organised range of internet resources for the social sciences.
The service covers a wide range of social science topics, including:
- Business and Management
- European Studies
- Government Policy
- Hospitality and Catering
- Human Geography
- Research Tools and Methods
- Social Welfare
- Sport and Leisure Practice
- Statistics and Data
- Travel and Tourism
- Women's Studies
The internet catalogue of Intute: Social Sciences points to over 33,000 internet resources within the social sciences. These records are available for browsing by subject heading or are searchable by keyword, title or by type of resource. In addition to the main catalogue of internet resources the service also offers:
- an automatically generated database of over 400,000 relevant social science web pages, known as the Harvester.
- a tool based on social science thesauri which allows you to look for alternative search terms to expand or restrict your results on the catalogue
- a personalised account area that allows you to store and email records to yourself and provides you with regular email notification of new internet sites which match your specified interests
- a database of social science conferences and events
- an aggregated news service, bringing together over 120 social science related news services
- the Social Sciences Blog, a current awareness service provided by our subject experts
- links to all HE social science departmental pages in the UK.
Intute: Social Sciences also provides a range of additional training and support services to make locating information on the internet quicker, easier and more productive. These include a suite of subject-based online tutorials and ranges of printed guides and training materials to download, adapt and re-use in teaching.
We make all of our data and services freely available for use within HE institutions. For details on how you can make use of Intute data on your own website see the guidance on integrating Intute:
How to access the service
For more information see the Intute: Social Sciences website.
- Intute: Social Sciences
Institute for Learning and Research Technology, University of Bristol, 8-10 Berkeley Square, Bristol BS8 1HH
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form on the Intute website
Telephone: +44 (0)117 928 7117
Fax: +44 (0)117 928 7112
- ESRC resources team
Telephone: 01793 413180