Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research Data and Methods
The Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research, Data and Methods (WISERD) is an interdisciplinary research centre, co-funded by the ESRC and the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW). It will draw together and build upon the existing expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methods and methodologies at Cardiff, Swansea, Aberystwyth, Bangor and Glamorgan universities.
WISERD is undertaking an ambitious data integration, primary research and capacity building programme in Wales. Contributing disciplines include sociology, geography, social and public policy, law, economics, politics, education and social work.
The research activity and programme of capacity building of WISERD is distributed across the partner institutions and also involves the Welsh Assembly Government, Office for National Statistics (ONS) and other public organisations.
The aims of WISERD are:
- to build upon and develop existing expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methods and methodologies
- to develop and integrate a coherent set of research data relating to Wales
- to build networks of researchers and research capacity across Wales in the economic and social sciences, as well as contributing to UK-wide research capacity building
- to explore the relationships between research data, research methods and the development and understanding of policy
- to develop a sustainable increase in the quantitative research base across the social sciences in Wales through academic appointments and training
- to increase collaborative interdisciplinary research grant applications and interaction with policymakers and the private sector through consultancy.
WISERD will collaborate with the National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM), through sharing of information, consultation on and joint organisation of training events, provision of online resources and teaching modules, and general liaison over training and capacity building issues.
How to access this resource
For further details visit the WISERD website.
WISERD is coordinated from an administrative centre at Cardiff University.
- Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Glamorgan Building, King Edwards VII Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3WT
Telephone: 029 2087 4848
Fax: 029 2087 4520
- ESRC resources team
Telephone: 01793 413381
- Linda Tiller, HEFCW
Telephone: 029 2068 2228